Whilst bananna bread is on the top of our lists, there’s another dessert on the horizon that might just beat it.
Going viral on Facebook this week, a recipe for, wait for it, IRN-BRU cheesecake has been released, with people around Scotland going crazy for it! It’s officially at the top of our quarantine baking list and it’ll soon be on yours!
The recipe for an IRN-BRU cheesecake is from website BigMonkeyTrap and the description reads: “There is one Scottish product that is a stand out for me, and that’s IRN-BRU.
“It reminds me of my childhood, teenage years and adulthood – From being a 10p bar studded with black sherbet, to reminding me of visits to the family to acting as a vodka mixer in my student days.”
Did we mention that it also contains Tunnock’s Caramel Wafers?!
If you’re worried about the amount of sugar, opt for a can of Diet Bru instead, but for us, the original stuff is the only way to go.
To create BigMonkeyTrap ‘s iconic IRN-BRU cheesecake you’ll need:
- 200g digestive biscuits and a couple of caramel wafers
- 50g butter, melted
- 500g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 500ml IRN-BRU
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
And here’s the super-easy method:
1. In a plastic bag smash up the biscuits to make a crumb. In a mixing bowl, mix together the biscuit crumbs and melted butter.
2. Spoon the biscuit mixture into a 22cm spring-form cake tin lined with baking paper. Use a metal spoon to press the biscuit crumbs down firmly and evenly. Chill in the refrigerator until set.
3. In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk or a wooden spoon, beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract until well mixed. In a saucepan simmer the IRN-BRU until it reduces by half.
4. Fold in the double cream, mixing well.
5. Spoon the cream mixture over the chilled biscuit base, making sure that there are no air bubbles. Smooth the top of the cheesecake with a palette knife or metal spoon. Mix the cornstarch with a small drop of IRN-BRU and mix. Once well combined pour into the saucepan and thicken.
6. Chill the cheesecake in the refrigerator for 1 hour until set. Pour over the IRN-BRU syrup.
7. To serve, remove from the cake tin and cut into slices.
Check out the recipe and BigMonkeyTrap’s other incredible recipes here.
If cheesecake isn’t your thing, you can also checkout these IRN-BRU cupcakes, created by bargain basement store, B&M.